Monday, July 13, 2009

memories

Tonight I put Abby down for bed and sat outside for a few minutes with Sophie. Today was a ridiculously hot day, but tonight turned out to be beautiful. Clear skies. Still warm, but bearable. The warm breeze felt great and as I closed my eyes to take it in I was flooded with a pre-baby memory. (Most days I have a hard time remembering life before Abby. Tonight I was glad I did.)

I remember being very pregnant. Close to nine months. I was wearing a sports bra and comfy pants. (The staple of my lounging pregnancy attire.) Chris a t-shirt and khaki shorts. There was nothing special about that particular evening, except that we were home with nothing to do but spend time together. I remember sitting on the patio. Holding hands. Watching the puppy run through the yard. Watching the stars. I remember that same warm breeze hitting my face.

I don't think I realized that that evening would have any profound impact on me. I don't even remember exactly what we talked about. What I do remember is being overcome by a feeling that I was in exactly the right place at exactly the right time with exactly the right person. I remember wondering if I could ever be happier than I was in that moment. I remember feeling so thankful that I was starting a family with this man that I loved more than anything in the world.

What a journey we have been on since then. Starting our family has done incredible things for our relationship. It has also put a strain on our relationship that is hard to explain. I need to remember to let myself slow down more often. Long enough to soak in a refreshing breeze. Long enough to remember that feeling. Long enough to fall in love all over again with my incredible husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment